Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Evaluating Persuasive Writing

Question: What questions should students ask in evaluating their persuasive writing?

Quotes:
Introducing My Persuasive Claim:

My clearly stated claim is….

The authority of my claim has been established by…..


My Supporting Claim

Evidence is included to support my claim. The evidence is….

The knowledge, concerns and question of intended audience have been addressed by….

The formality of tone matches my familiarity with the audience. My tone is….
 

Illustrating Language Power

Rhetorical questions have been asked. These are….

Power verbs and adjectives have been included. These include….

An unforgettable power phrase has been included. It is….
 

Summing It Up

My claim or position is clearly presented, developed and supported as shown in lines….

A powerful, punchy conclusion reinforces the authority and clout of the original claim. It is…..

p. 644.
 

Comment: An interesting summary of one view of a persuasive piece of writing. RayS.

Title: “Persuasion – Stating and Arguing Claims Well.” Diane Lapp and Douglas Fisher. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy (April 2012),641-644.

No comments:

Post a Comment