Friday, July 24, 2009

Topic: An Assessment Challenge

10-second review: Develop an assessment tool and use it for three weeks. The data might surprise you.


Title: “Assessing Assessment.” DJ Linville. Language Arts (May 2009), 396. The elementary school publication of the National Council of Teachers of English.


Summary/Quote: “Someone once told me that if something is done daily for three weeks, it has the capacity to become a habit. Teachers should take the three-week challenge to assess their assessment. Adopt one new mindful, purposeful assessment tool (checklist, rubric, grading criteria, status of the class chart….) and evaluate the data. It just may inform this instruction in a radically new way.”


Comment: I thought of applying this idea to the 10-minute essays with which my students began each class period. I would record the number of changes I made each day for each student. What would I learn? RayS.

No comments:

Post a Comment