Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Topic: Teaching



10-second review: When the teacher misunderstood the apparently disruptive behavior of a student in her teacher education class, she suddenly realized that the student-centeredness she thought she was exhibiting was actually teacher-centered. A few adjustments changed her practices.

Title: “Teaching English Education and Lurching Forward.” Linda Shadow. English Education (October 2010), 97-106.

Summary: The central questions she had been asking herself about her teaching needed a change of focus, from teacher to student.

Original questions she asked of herself:
. Who am I in this class?
. How can I present this information?
. How am I experiencing my teaching?
. How do I think my teaching is going?
. What classroom approaches make sense to me?

The changed questions:
. Who are you in this [class]?
. How might you approach this [class]?
. How are you experiencing the learning?
. How do you view your own work?
. What is the potential impact of classroom practices on you?

Comment: The importance of the perception of the students’ experiencing the class cannot be underestimated. Once you understand how the students view the class, your teaching will change. I say that ruefully. RayS.

No comments:

Post a Comment