Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Voice in Writing

Question: What does “finding your voice” mean in writing?

Answer/Quote: “I never knew what was meant by ‘finding your voice.’ But I think I know now. I believe it means finding a way to write that is comfortable for you. It’s finding the method to tell your story that seems natural and unaffected. That way you’re not going to get caught out all the time trying to keep up with some kind of style that you think may be appropriate.” P.33.

Comment: I think this is a good answer to the question about “voice” in writing. However, I think, if I believe this statement, as an English teacher, I might have to alter somewhat the way I teach English, in the direction of accepting a variety of writing styles, not just standard English. I don’t know that I can do that. RayS.

Title: “A Little Inspiration from Maeve Binchy.” Maeve Binchy. The Writer (June 2012), 32-34.

No comments:

Post a Comment